"We are all voyagers. What you carry with you and what you leave behind define who you are."
Lavatai Lauaki Afifimailagi, an elder in the Samoan Voyaging Society
"Toward a Plastic-Free Polynesia", by Marcus Eriksen, natgeotravel.com
The responsible traveller seeks to make travel decisions that will not only be respectful and sustaining for the communities they visit but for the whole world. At Re-CreationWORLD we strive not only for sustainability but also for rejuvenation - creating a better healthier world. In our travel and our day to day life, we believe it is important to do what we can to support this vision. We try to travel and live light, avoiding consumerism, seeking tourism experiences that leave only the possibility of a better future and saying no to disposable products. The products and services we love and recommend are all ones we are proud to carry with us, from companies that in their own way are doing something wonderful for people and planet.
Here are the products we are most excited to share, along with a brief description of how they are creating or helping us via our travel to create a better more vibrant world:
An important aspect of responsible travel is being able to feel comfortable venturing off the beaten path, connecting with the local community and being able to enjoy unique experiences. These first few product recommendations and suggestions will help you be prepared to venture into the unfamiliar with confidence and help you to use technology to better connect and communicate.
World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance, you can purchase or manage from anywhere in the world. Designed for travellers by travellers it covers 150+ adventure activities and 24/7 emergency assistance. Encouraging responsible travel and leaving only positive footprints - giving back to the places you visit - they partner with non-profits and charities to support sustainable projects and community development initiatives. Their website is also a great source of travel safety tips and advice from their travelling community.
- This 52 Language Smart Voice Translator - will allow you to communicate and get to know the local way of life and business. Not wanting to make a big investment? Start with a basic translation app on your phone and download Duolingo the freemium language learning app, to learn a few key phrases of the local language.
Secure, Affordable and Portable WIFI Connection
- In Canada we can get roaming plans from our service providers that will, for a minimal daily fee, allow you to call in the country and back home and use your data plan just like at home. This is handy when you need to help your local friend and the taxi driver find the bar they recommended. If you don't have such a plan, or you need greater data access and wish to have a way of securely accessing WiFi (we could write a whole blog on why you shouldn't use public WIFI while travelling - just trust us on this one) for you and your travelling companions, then check these portable WiFi hotspots out.
- If you are a frequent traveller and your destinations are within the 120 countries SKYROAM covers then consider purchasing a SKYROAM Solis and either an unlimited 4G LTE for $9.00/day or $99.00/month data package. If you are only an occasional traveller then you can elect to rent a device from SKYROAM for $9.95/day, which includes the device and the 4G LTE WiFi.
- Roaming Man offers an excellent, perhaps better with more global coverage, alternative if you wish to rent a device. Roaming Man ships you the device to use with unlimited 4G high-speed WiFi for $9.99/day in 130 countries, including Ecuador, yea!
Keeping Valuables Safe
- We love all the SCOTTeVEST products with their "thousands of pockets" and RFID blocking technology to keep digital pickpockets off your trail. They fit beautifully, hiding all your travel necessities, so you can wander easily through town and country and never look like a tourist. I have the Chloe Glow Hoodie and my only complaint is I forget where things are in the 18 specially designed hidden pockets. I especially love it for travelling. It's like having an extra carry on for the plane and your important stuff is in your seat with you for immediate access. No more worries if you need to check your real carry on bag!
Pierron + Co
- Pierron + Co has created a wonderful functional travel accessory. Their pocket scarves are another of our favourites, especially for plane travel, when we want to know exactly where our phone and passports are, and we need to keep the cold air from blowing on our shoulders.
- Pacsafe offers an excellent selection of digital and physical theft proof bags, backpacks and wallets. Their motto is "Enjoy life adventures knowing your gear is safe." We like the fact that the bags are both beautifully designed and extremely functional. Great for both business and personal travel, you can wander through the high fashion district and into the boardroom or climb the Great Wall of China with confidence and without looking out of place. We hope you will find one that suits your personal style. But before you go shopping, there is more great news! Not only is their logo a turtle - they have a turtle fund! They believe the sea turtle symbolizes the intrepid, global traveller and are committed to supporting a world where all marine turtles can flourish in a safe environment,
Cotopaxi Gear for Good
- Named after the volcanic mountain in Ecuador this B Corp. has made a commitment to creating positive social impact. They create innovative outdoor products and clothing and designate 2% of their revenue to fund sustainable poverty alleviation. See what they are up to @cotopaxi or read about their products and mission.
United by Blue
- We love their swimwear slogan "More Splash, Less Trash". Besides their sustainable swimwear collection, they have a great selection of easy-going wearables and other handy products. For every product sold, United by Blue removes one pound of trash from the world's oceans and waterways.
Sustainable Food and Beverage Utensils
Reusable Bamboo Utensil Sets and Stainless-Steel Containers
- To-GoWARE is our go-to source for easy to carry eco-friendly cutlery and chopsticks, all contained in their bamboo utensil set, beautifully packaged in carriers made from recycled bottles. This certified B Corp offers sustainable solutions and healthful alternatives to plastic waste.
- TheFinalStraw is simply amazing! We have pre-ordered ours, in Suck-ulent Green. We know you will want to save our oceans and sea life (watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MPHbpmP6_I if you don't understand what a problem single-use plastic straws are) so pre-order yours here https://finalstraw.com.
Sterilizing Water Bottle
- For every LifeStraw product sold, a child in need receives safe water for an entire school year. Their comprehensive program including training, education and visits ensure sustainability. They also sponsor and facilitate safe water and natural disaster relief programs where needed. Their products are of exceptional quality - the LifeStraw hollow fibre membrane filter removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria and 99.9 % of waterborne protozoan parasites and the activated carbon filter reduces odour, chlorine and leaves no aftertaste. Other than the straw shown here, our favourite product is the LifeStraw Go Refillable Purifying Water Bottle which gives you access to safe water where ever you go.
Insulated Mug or Flask
- Planetary Design's French Press Travel Mugs are one of our favourites - who doesn't love fresh brewed coffee or tea on the go, perhaps from the plantation you visited the day before. We have the older plastic version but think you will love this stainless-steel mug with its secret storage container/extra cup and handle that can easily be snapped to your backpack. It also has a second non-press lid, so you can use it for other beverages hot or cold. While you are considering this, search for their Airscape storage containers too.
All Terrain Gear
- Banana Backpack - Travel Gear designed to improve your life on the road and make the world a better place. Every backpack helps a Cambodian Child go to school. If you purchase the Khmer Explorer Travel Backpack the strap will bear the name of the child whose education, you made possible.
- We especially like their Expedition Luggage as it is a rugged functional designed to last a lifetime cross between a backpack/duffel and a suitcase. Eagle Creek is committed to preserving and protecting the places we live, work and travel and finding new ways to positively impact the cultures, environments and planet for future generations to discover.
- OverBoard Canada - These guys know what it is like to try to keep technology, valuables and clothes safe while exploring the far reaches of our world and they have designed solutions to protect everything from phones to emergency supplies from the ravages of water, snow, dirt and sand. Their commitment is to "combine good-looking, high-quality value-for-money gear with 100% waterproof protection." All this from a Canadian company!
TrekLight Gear Tote Bags
- TrekLight Gear is a small business with a big heart. They make hammocks and for everyone sold they plant two trees. For every backpack sold they donate school supplies. But we are recommending their tote bags because they are light, easy to carry and they are made from recycled/leftover hammock material! And they reduce plastic waste.
Eco & Travel-Friendly Health and Beauty Products
- Kuma Earth Friendly Eyewear - One Tree Planted in endangered ecosystems for each pair sold.
Solid Shampoo & Conditioner in Reusable Containers
- Lush Cosmetics - vegetarian, handmade shampoo and conditioner bars won't spill in your luggage, will go through security and last your whole trip. They arrive naked (plastic bottle free) so pick up a travel container too. Click here to view a Facebook video: Lush Cosmetics
- Try Treefinity's Bamboo Toothbrushes - for every brush purchased, one is given to someone in need. Unlike plastic brushes which can take years to break down, their toothbrushes can biodegrade within 3 months. And the packaging is biodegradable too.
Natural Bug Repellent & Net
Make sure when you travel in mosquito-prone areas that you wear protective clothing - long sleeve shirts and pants - especially at dawn and dusk. Most accommodations throughout the world where mosquitos are a problem will have a net protecting your bed. However, if you are camping out or really getting off the beaten path consider taking your own net.
- Our recommendation for natural bug repellent is to make your own solid lotion bars to travel with. Here is a recipe that nourishes and moisturizes the skin while protecting it.
- Here are some mosquito net options - how about the Hammock Bliss mosquito free hammock? The mesh is so small even the no-see-ums can't get through. We think this would be great for our next vision quest outing on the West Coast of Canada.
Reef Friendly Sunscreen
Tropical Sands All-Natural BiodegradableWater-Resistant Sunscreen
- Tropical Sands All-Natural Biodegradable Water-Resistant Sunscreen is great for snorkelling.
Badger Natural Sunscreen
- Badger Natural Sunscreen is a good choice for every day and is reef friendly.